Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Resolutions...Happy Twenty-Ten


Happy New Year to all my friends who read the blog. It is now the third day of our New Year, 2010 (two-thousand and ten) or for those who prefer a short cut (twenty-ten). After only just a few minutes into the new year a close friend sent me a text message asking me this controversial question which is the correct way to say 2010. Is it two-thousand ten or twenty-ten? Does anyone really know? I believe in our culture today the easy short cut way is what most of us will adopt for this new year.

Think about it in 1999 we just said the two numbers nineteen-ninety nine. The new millennium had everyone confused. You really couldn't say twenty-double zero, that just didn't sound right! So back then we happily adopted the year 2000 as simply two-thousand. Next, we were so use to the simple two-thousand it was easy to throw on another number for the next nine years, two-thousand and one, two-thousand and two, and so on. No one even thought to call it twenty-oh one or twenty-oh two. Now it just seems that two-thousand and ten is such a long way to say, twenty-ten. So one of my first new year's resolutions is to call the new year twenty-ten. It doesn't matter what I do for my resolution or how I do it. It's just the fact that I made a new year's resolution.

I looked into New Year's Resolutions and found that they go back over four-thousand years to Babylon. I assume even then someone must have wanted to lose weight or make a change in their life for the better. My resolution, for as long as I can remember making resolutions was to lose weight. Well, as I look back I have kept my resolutions and did lose the weight the problem was by the end of the year I had found it again.

I further researched the word "resolution". The dictionary states the following... 1. The state or quality of being resolute; firm determination. 2. A resolving to do something. 3. A course of action determined or decided on. After reading this definition I have determined it doesn't really matter what your resolution is. It just has to be something you have made a strong decision about. With that in mind hear are my Twenty-Ten New Year's Resolutions....1.) To be THIN in TWENTY-TEN! 2.) To be WEALTHY (why not?) 3.) To pay off ALL of my debts. 4.) To travel more on my vacations. 5.) To become a columnist and be syndicated in newspapers all over the country! Remember resolutions are just determinations. Determine what you will be or do this year and be the best you can be for this new year. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment